vine pruning, iowa vineyard, iowa wines

We finally finished pruning Edelweiss vines and moved to Sabrevois and St. Croix at both Tassel Ridge and Newport Lane. We also have several maintenance tasks to complete this week.

The weather this season has made pruning VERY challenging almost everywhere in Iowa. But, with the chance of a late frost getting smaller and smaller, we are now focused on the final, short prune of our vines. May 10 is our so-called 90% date when the chances of a frost have dropped to 10%. We have about 15,000 vines left to short prune and we hope to have that all done by the end of May.

Our new vines will arrive at the end of May and we will plant about 1,000 vines in about one week.