(131 miles to Tassel Ridge Winery)
See a bald eagle swoop to the Mississippi River, then soar back up downriver of the lock and dam in Keokuk, Iowa. It’s among the best places in the contiguous 48 to eagle-watch. Visit during Keokuk’s annual Bald Eagle Appreciation Days, the third weekend of each January, and spotters will help you hone in on a few of the 400-plus that usually show up.
One of 12 original national cemeteries designated by the U. S. Congress, the Cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997. During the Civil War, the presence of the College of Physicians and Surgeons caused the federal government to locate a military hospital in Keokuk. The sick and wounded were transported to the hospitals in Keokuk by river boats on the Mississippi River. Over 600 Union Soldiers and 8 Confederate prisoners of war were buried in what became Iowa’s only National Cemetery. In 1908 when Fort Yates, North Dakota was abandoned, the remains in its post cemetery were moved to Keokuk National Cemetery. In 1948, another post cemetery, in Des Moines, Iowa, also had its remains moved to the National Cemetery.
1701 “J” Street
Keokuk, Iowa 52632
The Grand Theatre was designed by Merle F. Baker and constructed on the foundation of the Keokuk Opera House (Circa 1880) which burned in 1923. Patterned after Chicago theaters, it was praised as one of the finest theaters in the country at the time. Presently, The Grand Theatre is owned by the City of Keokuk and has been restored to its original stateliness with an art deco style. Used as a performing arts center, it is independently operated by the Grand Theatre Commission and used by various organizations. Performance schedules available on the website. Tours of the theater are available with a 24-hour notice.
Built in Dubuque, Iowa by the U. S. Government in 1927. One of the first steamboats to move barges on the Mississippi from St. Louis, Missouri to St. Paul, Minnesota, it was built to revive river transportation. The paddle boat was then known as the S.S. Thorpe until Armco Steel Corp. bought the boat in 1940 and put it into service on the Ohio River, renaming it after the founder of their company, George M. Verity. After being retired from service, it was donated to the City of Keokuk in 1961. This steam-powered, sternwheeler contains photographs and models of river subjects.
117 South Water Street
Keokuk, Iowa 52632