Tassel Ridge Iowa Harvest Red, a dry red with plum and black cherry aromas and notes, nice acid, and a long, complex finish pairs nicely with the flavors and spices in these Burgers with Hummus Sauce.
Tassel Ridge® Burgers with Hummus Sauce
- 8 oz nonfat plain hummus, about 1 cup
- 1½ Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 lb ground beef, 95% lean
- 1½ tsp Tassel Ridge Pepper-Herb Seasoning, recipe below
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split, toasted
- 4 Romaine lettuce leaves,
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- carrot and celery sticks, for garnish
Combine hummus, lemon juice, parsley, and pepper in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, about 8 minutes or until sauce is heated through. Set aside and keep warm.
Combine ground beef and seasoning mix in large bowl. Mixing thoroughly. Shape into four ½-inch thick burgers.
Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook burgers, 5–6 minutes. Turn and cook 5–6 minutes, or until no long pink in center (burgers should reach 165°F). Line bottom of each bun with lettuce, tomato, and cucumber slices. Top with burger and 2 tablespoons of hummus sauce. Serve with remaining sauce and garnish with carrot and celery sticks, if desired.
Tassel Ridge® Pepper-Herb Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp crushed dried basil leaves
- 1½ tsp crushed dried oregano leaves
- 1½ tsp lemon pepper
- 1½ tsp onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon rubbed sage
Combine basil, oregano, lemon pepper, onion powder, and sage in airtight container. Shake well before using.
Wine Recommendation—Tassel Ridge Iowa Harvest Red
Iowa Harvest Red is a dry red with plum and black cherry aromas and notes on the palate along with nice acid followed by a long, complex finish. Made from Marquette and Marechal Foch grapes grown in our Iowa vineyards, Iowa Harvest Red will pair nicely with pizza, pasta dishes, burgers, and steaks. Serve at room temperature.