Coconut-Lemongrass Chicken Bowls paired with sweet, fruity red wine take the blahs out of chicken!
These Coconut-Lemongrass Chicken Bowls have rich flavors and spices, and the sweet, fruity flavors in Tassel Ridge Sweet Roxie Red® are a perfect pairing for those rich flavors and spices.
Tassel Ridge® Coconut-Lemongrass Chicken Bowl
- 1¼ cups light coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped lemongrass (or 3 Tbsp lemongrass powder)
- 2 Tbsp ground fresh chili paste (or sriracha)
- 2 lbs (about 6) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup unsalted chicken stock
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 2 large carrots, each cut into 4 pieces
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 5 tsp fish sauce (or Worcestershire sauce)
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp sugar
- 8 oz uncooked wide brown rice noodles (or whole wheat linguine)
- 2 cups thinly sliced English cucumber
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- ¼ cup chopped unsalted peanuts
Place ¾ cup coconut milk, lemongrass, chili paste, and chicken in large, plastic zip bag. Seal. Turn bag so that chicken is coated. Refrigerate 8 to 24 hours. Place stock, garlic, onions, carrots, and ginger in a 6-quart slow cooker. Remove chicken from marinade. Discard marinade. Arrange chicken on top of onion mixture. Cover. Cook on low for 7½ hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker. Shred into bite-size pieces. Pour cooking liquid through colander placed over large bowl. Discard solids. Combine strained cooking liquid, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and remaining ½ cup coconut milk in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Prepare noodles according to package directions. Divide noodles evenly among 6 bowls. Top with chicken, cucumber, cilantro, and green onions. Pour ⅓ cup coconut milk mixture over each bowl. Sprinkle with peanuts. Serves 6.
Chef’s Note—Before chopping lemongrass, hit stalk with kitchen hammer or back of large knife to release aromatic lemon oil.
Wine Recommendation—Tassel Ridge Sweet Roxie Red®
Sweet Roxie Red® is a refreshing, sweet, fruity red wine with cherry and citrus on the nose and sweet cherry and candied fruits on the palate. Made from a blend of Marquette grapes grown in our Iowa, vineyards and Muscat grapes, Sweet Roxie Red is a great sipping wine or pair it with spicy Asian and Mexican foods. Serve chilled.